Sunday, November 1, 2009

Are you sure it's a good idea to have a Muppet with HIV?.. "I'm positive"


Pat Buchanan doesn't like it. He says that it is immoral to have a Muppet on Sesame Street who has HIV. Typically, if Pat Buchanan doesn't like it, it's OK with me (keep in mind that this is the guy who blamed 9/11 on homosexuals).

I've got to say, I find it really hard to see his point about Kami being an immoral and evil character. Kami is a girl who was probably just born with HIV; it's not like she's some sex fiend drug addict designed to make every little kid into a bad person.

I really think it would be a good idea to have Kami on the U.S. version of Sesame Street. Although the old myth that you can get AIDS by going near someone with HIV is hardly prevalent in the United States these days, it is very important that kids know about diseases like HIV and what they can do to avoid getting them, and kids need to know that it's OK to hug people with HIV or have tea parties with them.

I don't think that Kami is going to single-handedly clear up the AIDS problem in American youth, but certainly every little bit helps. When HIV/AIDS is a leading cause of death among African-Americans, as well as a serious threat to people of all ethnic groups, it most certainly helps to get kids the knowledge that they need to stay healthy at an early age.

So I say, "Bring on Kami!"

No comments:

Post a Comment